Is the recession good for us?

I think so. I was the happiest I have ever been, in the 1980s. I was unemployed for a year - great stuff.

Whilst being unemployed I...

a. did part-time study
b. talked my girlfriend into leaving her job and thus had plenty of 'together time'
c. did voluntary work in a Christian restaurant - feeling of goodwill, plus free food

Anyway I have just been on Radio5live explaining why the recession is good for many.

Here's why:

a. mortgages are down (if you're on a variable rate - which I am)
b. VAT falls which means prices fall
c. more likely to do voluntary work if you're unemployed as you still need the routine and social network - thus good for society
d. less likely to feel the need for a holiday compressed into a few weeks as the stress is not there. Thus less stress and also more overall contentment
e. more time for exercise and sports and hobbies etc
f. prices in shops will be lower plus as you have less need for a car, new clothes etc etc your spending is down
g. more time with family
h. society: fewer take-aways. More home cooking. less packaging throw away.

Thinking about it - and I have often had these thoughts over the past 15 years - if I lost my job tomorrow AND also had my entire mortgage cleared, I'd probably be happier. What job satisfaction I have is not as much a sit used to be and I could easily fill my time with hobbies, more study (Masters degree - my second). I'd do voluntary work - plenty of job satisfaction. I'd have more time for food, for leisure etc. provided you have a routine and don't stay up all night JUST watching tv then it'd be an improvement.

Who loses?

Obviously those with high debt and lose their job.

But what percentage are they?

2%?
5%

But then 25% with mortgages gain.

Think about it......


I have been self-employed for 20 years and now being 'employed' for the first time I lose financially, I lose control over what I do and what I say and how I do my job....it's not as good as you may think, having a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Approach to teaching

Methods there are many, principles but few, methods often change, principles never do